Columbia 2017 - 30th
Come celebrate on May 10th, 5:30-8:30pm (NEW DATE)
Join us at the River Rat Brewery to celebrate 30 years of successes in the public interest and share in our renewed commitment to defend our environment and quality of life against an unprecedented attack at the state and federal level.
Enjoy live music, local beer (the first round on us), good food and great company as we bring our 30th anniversary celebration to Columbia.
You can do it online here. You can also mail us a check (writing Columbia Event in the memo) or give us a call at the office. We will be happy to process the registration for you!
SCELP was formed in 1987 as a special project of Energy Research Foundation, a private non-profit foundation with offices in Columbia, harnessing the momentum generated by landmark community victories against extreme industrial development plans that would have sited an oil refinery in Winyah Bay and, a decade earlier, a massive chemical plant on Port Royal Sound.
At that time the federal government was shifting the focus of environmental permitting and enforcement to state and local control. SCELP has since engaged with all sorts of conservation issues on behalf of concerned citizens and advocate groups throughout the state, strengthening state and local rules and improving their enforcement.
SCELP has been an essential ingredient of the conservation culture that flourished in our State in the 80's and has thrived ever since. Jimmy Chandler, our founder, realized soon after the early victories that new challenges would keep coming and we are proud to continue his legacy as we step into the next 30 years of service and dedication.
Tickets are $20 in advance, $25 the day of the event, for students
$35 in advance, $45 the day of, for everyone else
You can purchase 10$ Raffle Tickets for wonderful prizes when purchasing your tickets online or >HERE< selecting raffle tickets under Gift Designation. Raffle tickets will also be available at the door. Raffle prizes include:
- The Natural History of Congaree Swamp signed by the authors (LLGaddy and John Cely)
- A visit to John Hodge's private observatory for a "stellar" wine and cheese (for 6 people)
- A Coast for All Season signed by the authors (Miles Hayes and Jacqui Michel)
- A guided tour of Congaree National Park by noted naturalist John Cely, along with a picnic lunch from Rosewood Market (for 8 people)
- Gift cards from Crust, Congaree Milling Blue Corn Grits, plus great bottles of wine
- One canvas and one styrene print of the event image ("Gervais Street" Bridge by Mike Tauffler)
- And more!
Thanks for your support and we look forward to seeing you on May 10th!
The SCELP Team, Lawyers for the Wild Side